Friday 19 June 2009

Unit 33 - E4 Ident Project (2D Animation)

This is the finished Flash Animation (including sound) for my Unit 33 project. The project involved researching E4 Idents (as well as other channels with Idents) with the intentions of then creating my own Ident for the channel.



I created it using Adobe Flash CS3, ActionScript 2, and hand-drew each frame myself. The story is simple - two characters look outside (through window and door) to see flowers sprouting in their garden. All is well until one evil-looking flower starts to grow, which then proceeds to attack the character at the door. He escapes inside, and the plant splats against the door creating the E4 logo, before zooming to fill the screen ready to fade out at the end. I did have to edit the story slightly from what I had originally intended to do - the plant was supposed to grow vines and these would form the E4 logo, rather than the plant itself. However, I found this too tricky to achieve, and also felt the logo should realistically be purple in colour, rather than green, because the actual E4 logo is purple. So I decided to alter it to have the purple plant splat against the door, as this was easier to create but it also meant the logo would be the correct colour.

I have included two forms of audio with this clip - one being a 'splat' sound effect which I have carefully placed to ensure it fits with the impact of the plant in the video, and the other being a music file I have personally edited to include. The original track was 'Zambezi' created by 'The Piranhas', so it isn't my own file, but I have edited it before using it. I took the opening few seconds of the clip, altered it by slowing it down and expanding it, and then uploaded the sound file into Adobe Flash to include it as the backing track for the advert.

Overall, I am quite happy with my finished video. I have managed to stick to the deadlines with regards to production and upload, and believe it is of an accurate length for an Ident. My only criticism is that some sections aren't quite as fluent and smooth as I had been hoping for. But this comes down to a rush with regards to finishing it on time. Therefore, were I to work on this again, I would like to go back and smooth down the whole animation, adding in extra frames to make it look that little bit more professional and impressive. But other than that, it has turned out pretty close to how I hoped it would.

1 comment:

  1. That's good! It looks like an actually ident that would have been on TV in the early 90s or something, with that music and look of the animation...

    ReplyDelete