Friday 4 March 2011

Owl City - Fireflies Single Cover - Analysis

While my previous post demonstrated how the colour 'blue' can represent sadness, my next image shows the colour in a much more positive light. The purpose of doing this is to demonstrate that not all colours are symbolic of a single meaning. Colours can represent a number of different emotions depending on the content and context of the image, and indeed the cultures of those who are viewing that image at any particular time.


I am uncertain if my prior knowledge of the band has swayed my feelings towards this image, or not. For people who have not heard their musical style - for those who do not know how... refreshing and uplifting their music really is - it may provoke a slightly different reaction.

But, whenever I see this single-cover, I smile.
Perhaps it isn't the same for everyone. As with most artistic endeavours, personal opinion is key; if somebody doesn't like something, they don't like it. Simple. In this case, people who are not interested in cityscapes, or who do not find them appealing to look at, would probably feel differently about the image. Similarly, those who do not like the band may not like the image for that reason, because it represents something they have little interest in.

But for me, personally, I think it is a beautiful image.

I absolutely love the cityscape backdrop. The rule-of-thirds has been executed artistically - with the band name and song title in the bottom third, the cityscape in the middle third and the 'spacey' skyline in the upper third. Though, in this case, the thirds are not all identical in size - the bottom one being much larger than the top, rather than equally spacing all 3 sections.


The blue overtone makes the image sparkle, almost. It definitely has a futuristic feel, I believe. The skyscrapers and buildings are symbolic of man's desires to reach for the stars - to one day be out there amongst them, reaching up like infant hands groping for their mothers, their protectors, the angels (or 'stars', as depicted in the upper third, which could in turn represent the fireflies referenced in the song, itself) watching over them from above. I'm unsure of the image's true intentions (aside from promoting the single, of course - profit is everything in business), but I see man-made glass and steel creations reaching out to the stratosphere: I see Man's unquenchable thirst to reach out and become a part of the Universe. And it makes me smile.

The 'out-of-this-world' feeling I depict from the image can in turn represent a significant part of the style which makes up the music created. A lot of Owl City's songs seem science-fiction-inspired, with soft, twinkling melodies and whooshy, gliding undertones. When I see this image, I think of a modern-to-futuristic style of music. They certainly deliver, in that respect: see fan-made music video, below...


-- The video was created by (as seen on YouTube) and the lyrics and song belong to Owl City. The Doctor Who clips belong to the BBC (Stephen Moffat, etc). No copyright infringement intended and no money is being made, here. Use of video and content is purely for educational purpose. --

No comments:

Post a Comment