Wednesday 23 March 2011

Media Product Ideas Generation

This time a year ago, I was super excited about the new series of Doctor Who. So excited, in fact, that I worked on compiling a trailer containing a mash-up of existing BBC official trailers to help quench my excitement.



Truthfully, this was one of my first ever forrays into the realms of Editing. Hence, it isn't the most technically fantastic piece I have ever created. However, at the time, I was simply happy to have created a video that was in-time with an accompanying piece of music - which was my ultimate goal for the project.

One year on, and I'm still in love with music videos. So much so, that I want to create one to be my final media project. Though this time, rather than using clips from a television show, I plan to focus on the lyrics a lot more and create graphics to accompany them. As of yet, I am undecided about the track to use. Though I do have ideas about the style I want my video to be in.

Stepping back a couple of blog entries, the entry containing my Flash-drawn Suzuki Bike has inspired me to create a comic-style video made purely from photographs that have been manipulated to suit this style. There is scope to include moving imagery, as well, though this would take me longer to create and edit. Whereas, were I to use still photographs, I'd be able to compile a video fairly easily, as well as correctly manipulate each photograph to suit my desired style.

The benefits of using still photographs would include being easy to obtain, and also to create a video that is fast-paced and purely representational of the lyrics, themselves. In many modern-day music videos, there is little relevance in terms of content when compared with the lyrics of the songs. For many artists, it is merely a demonstration of personal interest and investment - i.e. "I have all this money, look how wildly I can spend it to create a music video with little meaning and a lot of special effects".

I plan to do the exact opposite.

I want to create a video that contains graphics that completely represent the lyrics - even if those graphics are representative of an alternative meaning; for example, have a picture of an 'eye' for the word I, or such like.

This image is a close-up photo of an eye which I have altered by adding on 'Comic-book' and 'Film-grain' effects, as well as altering the colours to mix black-and-white with a little additional colour.

In more adult-themed comics (often japanese Manga), it is common practice that the majority of the comic's content is in black and white, but stark contrast is provided through sharp splashes of colour - for example, blood is red to make it stand out clearly. I would like to work on incorporating this somehow, into my video.

The benefits of combining black and white with splashes of colour is that the eye is automatically drawn to that which differs from the rest of the image. Taking this image as an example, I immediately see the eye itself when I look at it, before I take note of the surroundings, because the use of colour against the black and white backdrop draws me in. This style of dark and light contrasting so strongly inside the image reminds me of Caravaggio's works, as mentioned in my previous blog. His use of dark and light tones combined to manipulate the way the viewer received the image, telling a story about the graphic simply by hiding some sections from sight whilst showing other sections in clear, bright view.

The fact that the area of colour is centrally aligned also helps with this instant focus of attention: so that is something else to consider when lining up for photographic shots - I can play around with alignment of the most interesting section of the image to get the maximum effect, and also should consider the 'Rule of Thirds' to ensure the image is making full use of the canvas.

To summarise, for my media product, I hope to create a small music video (as of yet, unknown song choice) with a black/white/colour contrasting comic-style theme, which contains photographs of literal images to represent the lyrics (perhaps so literally it is almost extreme). Of course, this idea could change dramatically over the next few blog posts, but we shall see how things go...

No comments:

Post a Comment